Monday, January 19, 2009

Gamsol and colored pencils

So, here is my first "review". It's not really a review, as much as a "you have to try this technique" and sort of a tutorial. After reading some posts on Split Coast Stampers, I decided to ditch my aqua pen, inks, blender pen, etc, and give Turpenoid, paper stumps, and colored pencils a shot.

I went out to two different stores (I'm lucky enough to live very close to AC Moore, Michaels, and Joanns) for different things. AC Moore had everything I needed, Micheals had at least the paper stumps and colored pencils (Prismas). So, to begin with, I bought Derwent colored pencils (I couldn't see spending that much money on Prismas if I didn't know if I'd like this coloring technique), ProArt blending paper stumps, and Odorless Turpenoid (not pictured). Under the reccomendation of one of the girls on SCS, I looked for Krylon Matte Spray, but couldn't find it. I ended up buying Krylon Crystal Clear Acrylic Coating (1303). It seemed to work just fine to me! The spray prevents the paper from soaking in the gamsol and helps your color blend more smoothly. Thank you Kathy (stampin8mom) for that tip!

First I stamped my image. I was in a bit of a rush, and could have chosen a better stamp for this technique I'm sure, I chose the dotted butterfly from Stampin Up's Flight of the Butterfly set. I stamped it in Jet Black StazOn on Whisper White cardstock from Stampin Up and let it dry for a few seconds. I then sprayed Krylon Crystal Clear on it (I'll warn you I had my window opened and sprayed it out the window and still nearly choked on the fumes. This is one you want to spray in a VERY ventilated space, or better yet, outside). I let that dry for a minute or so and then sat down and began to color. I only did four, and this was one of my two favorites. Sorry the picture is blurry. I don't really like the left wing, but the right wing looks well blended when looking at the actual paper.

The other one I like is this green one. I definately added too much dark green outlineing on the left wing. I learned to add less color at first, and as more as needed. Of course, all this was the first time I did any of this so I still need some more practice. For anyone who ever wanted to try this, and is hesitent, I really recommend it. It's really easy and with a little practice I'm sure you could get it! It's relatively cheap too, depending upon the colored pencils you buy. The paper stumps cost $2.19 for a pack of 2, and from the limited coloring I've done, it didn't seem like it was going to wear away really easily. The Odorless Turpenoid cost under $8 but again, I really don't think it's going to be used up fast. The Krylon Crystal Clear was around $5 I believe. The colored pencils were the most expensive, I think they were between $15 and $20, but I can't remember.

I'm seriously considering spending some money on the prisma colored pencils that everyone likes and buying them in all the colors. Or I might buy the full set of the Derwent ones, they work well for me. I think I'll be using this technique more than watercoloring! Well, I'm off to (of course) finish up some school stuff!

No comments: